Orange Crunch Cake Recipe
I dressed up a yellow butter cake with a crunchy crumb layer and orange cream cheese frosting. The recipe was inspired by a specialty I sampled at a Florida restaurant.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 7 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Fresh orange wedges
- Grease and flour two 9-in. round baking pans; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add butter; toss to coat. Divide between prepared pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, peel and extract; beat until blended. Place one cake layer crunch side up on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer crunch side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Just before serving, top with orange wedges. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange Crunch Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p161
Reviews for Orange Crunch Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review