- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar or orange-colored sugar
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, extract and salt. Add flour; mix well. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 1-2 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Sprinkle warm cookies with sugar. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Orange Crispies
"I suppose I should call these "Lemon Crispies" because I substituted lemon extract for the orange.....only because that's what I had on hand. I made them for Christmas and decorated them with red and green colored sugars. They are SO light and crispy! Whether you use orange or lemon extract, you'll be happy with the results! I will definitely make these again next year!"
"Pretty bland until I doctored them. Added more salt and a lot more orange extract. Even put in 1/2 tsp. of almond extract. Maybe using salted butter would have reduced the need for more salt and improved flavor. Had to bake them an extra 3 minutes and found that sugars did not stick very well to the warm cookies. They tasted pretty good after the modifications, but you can tell these were made with shortening."
"Basically a orange flavored sugar cookie. Pretty good if you are wanting a break from chocolate."