Orange Creme Squares Recipe
This recipe may tempt you to skip supper and go straight to dessert! It was passed from my grandmother to my mom and is now a favorite of mine...as well as my husband's—he can't get enough of it! I often double the recipe, since it never lasts long.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + freezing YIELD:9 servings
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cold milk
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, juice drained and reserved
- 1. Combine crust ingredients and press into an 8-in. square pan. Chill. For filling, combine milk, ice cream and orange peel in a bowl. Add pudding mix, beating slowly with rotary beater or at lowest speed of a mixer until well blended. Pour over crust. Chill until set, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine cornstarch, sugar, orange juice, lemon juice and reserved mandarin orange juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Arrange oranges on top of filling. Spoon glaze over top. Chill until set. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 263 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC