- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- Orange peel strips
- In a large bowl, beat the first eight ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners’ sugar and extracts until smooth. Add marshmallow creme; beat until light and fluffy. Using a melon scoop, remove a small amount of cake from tops of cupcakes. Top each with a small scoop of ice cream. Decorate with frosting and orange peel strips. Serve immediately. Yield: 20 cupcakes.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
"Cupcakes were totally bland, probably from too much flour and using oil instead of butter. The frosting melted all over the place when I put them out for my guests. Tried again a second time, added another tablespoon of orange extract and the cupcakes were STILL bland! I ended up making a vanilla bean frosting with an orange icing drizzle on top. That was the only thing that saved these cupcakes."
"I made these tonight as mini cupcakes using a size 60 scoop and baked for 10 to 11 minutes. The batter yields 69 minis. I decided to go with a cream cheese frosting instead of the marshmallow frosting but awesome cake batter with a zesty natural orange flavor."