Orange Cream Meringue Cups Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Orange segments, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugars, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Drop meringue into six mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon.
- 3. Bake at 250° for 45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, orange juice, juice concentrate and peel. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Just before serving, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture just until blended. Spoon mixture into meringue cups. Garnish with orange segments if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 320 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (37g sugars, trace fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Orange Cream Meringue Cups
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.