Orange-Cream French Toast Recipe
My citrus-flavored toast adds a refreshing fruity twist to standard brunch fare. It's also a convenient make-ahead dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min./batch YIELD:4-5 servings
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 8 to 10 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons chopped mandarin oranges
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, orange juice, cream, sugar, orange peel, vanilla and salt. Dip the bread in egg mixture, coating each side. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour remaining egg mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a large skillet, melt butter; add bread. Cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat orange butter ingredients in a small bowl until blended. Serve with French toast. Yield: 4-5 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 687 calories, 54 g fat (31 g saturated fat), 386 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC