- air pockets.
- Bake at 325° on lowest oven rack 40-50 minutes or until top
- springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool
- completely, about 1-1/2 hours. Run a knife around sides and center
- tube of pan; remove cake.
- For filling, in a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water,
- combine the sugar, flour and salt. Add the orange juice, egg and
- orange peel. Constantly whisk until mixture reaches 160° or is
- thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and cool
- completely. Fold in whipped topping.
- Cut cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with one-third of the filling. Repeat layers
- twice. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.