Orange Cream Cake Recipe
- 1 package lemon cake mix (regular size)
- 1 envelope unsweetened orange Kool-Aid mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pacakge (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, Kool-Aid mix, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Using a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve one package of gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Pour over cake. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the milk, vanilla, pudding mix and remaining gelatin; beat on low for 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes; fold in whipped topping. Frost cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Orange Cream Cake
"Oh my gosh, is this heavenly! So refreshing, and not too sweet. I did put the frosting in the 'fridge for about a half hour to thicken it, per the other reviews. I will make this again!"
"Delicious! Very light and refreshing! I did only use 1/2 cup cold water instead of 1cup as that is what most jello poke cakes call for in their recipes. The topping turned out great, too! Will make again!"
"This cake very moist and had a great flavor. However, like lilaccrew the frosting ended up like a thick sauce even though I refrigerated it for 5 hours after frosting it. The next day it was perfect."
"Delicious and moist!"
"This cake sounded delicious as I read the ingredients, so I bought ingredients to make two; one to share, the other to snack on throughout the week. So glad I did! Everyone loved the refreshing taste after Sunday dinner."
"The flavor was not bad. I had a lot of trouble with the frosting. It was too liquidy. I tried adding powdered sugar and a 1/2 cup of sour cream but still not solid enough."
"First time I have ever made this cake and it will not be the last. It's a keeper. Excellent!"
"what is unsweetened orange soft drink mix? Is that KoolAid or Tang?"
"I love this recipe. It's easy to make, moist and has a wonderful flavor! I bring the dessert to my family's Sunday cookouts in the summer and everyone loves this one. The only things I do different are I usually use a white cake mix and I always substitute apple sauce for the oil. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!"
"So moist and delicious, using the lemon cake mix really sparks up the citrus flavor. I enjoy it best well chilled. A new favorite--YUM!!!"
"Fantastic recipe! Very refreshing!I have been making this for a few years now, and has always been a big hit!"
"This cake is the best my son who's 31st birthday is coming always request this cake for his special day."
"Best cake ever. Very tasty and light. No matter where I bring it, someone always asks for the recipe. Deeeelicious!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.