I'm lucky enough to have my great-grandmother's cookbook. In it are numerous tried-and-true recipes that she and my grandmother served our family through the years. —Carrie Zuhlke, Fostoria, Michigan
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, halved
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Combine the brown sugar and butter; spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cranberries and oranges; set aside.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and orange juice. Spread over cranberry mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Run a knife around edges of pan; immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p92
Reviews for Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review