I'm lucky enough to have my great-grandmother's cookbook. In it are numerous tried-and-true recipes that she and my grandmother served our family through the years. —Carrie Zuhlke, Fostoria, Michigan
Recommended: 24 Upside-Down Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, halved
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Combine the brown sugar and butter; spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cranberries and oranges; set aside.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and orange juice. Spread over cranberry mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Run a knife around edges of pan; immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p92
Reviews forOrange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 24, 2013
"Pretty good. Just very sweet. Otherwise, 5 star material."