Orange Cranberry Torte Recipe
“Around the holidays 45 years ago, a friend gave me this recipe; it’s been a favorite ever since.” —Bertha Palamar, Fulton, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, applesauce, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the walnuts, cranberries, dates and orange peel.
- 3. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 269 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC