I bake these simple fruit-filled scones during the holidays or any time our children come home for a visit. We all agree there's nothing better for breakfast than these scones, spread with homemade cranberry-orange butter.
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, cream butter. Stir in cranberries, confectioners; sugar and orange peel; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Divide in half. Pat each into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm with cranberry-orange butter. Yield: 16 scones.
Originally published as Cranberry Scones in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p18
Reviews for Orange Cranberry Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review