- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the buttermilk, eggs, orange juice and peel. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange extract and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cooled cookies. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Reviews for Orange Cookies
Sort By :
"yes really loved these cookies , and my grandkids too!!!"
"We love these cookies!! Every single one gets eaten in this house!! I did change the recipe from buttermilk to sour milk, milk with a little bit of vinegar in it!"
"Loved this recipe my grandkids love it also makes a big batch and easy recipe!"