Orange-Cola Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups cola
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 12 fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant chocolate drink mix
- 1/4 cup cola
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, cola, oil and extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Wash strawberries and pat dry. Dip each strawberry into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Garnish each serving with a chocolate-covered strawberry. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 556 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Orange-Cola Chocolate Cake
"I have made this numerous times and each time, it gets rave reviews. The orange is such a delightful surprise and adds a brightness to the chocolate cake. The frosting is so delicious, so make sure you have the ingredients to make it. You will put this on your dessert rotation."
"this cake is lite, moist and great tasting .couldn't eat just one piece."
"I asked for this cake for my birthday (8/1) and the whole family loved it. In fact, my sister even asked for the recipe and made it for a party she had 8/13. She never asks for recipes. I am making it for a work anniversary tomorrow and expect to get rave reviews and many requests for the recipe. It is one of the best cakes I've ever tried! And thank you for saying that chocolate covered strawberries are the garnish. It just doesn't get any better than that."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.