- minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter
- and orange peel. Gently stir in lemon juice. Pour into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours
- before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 385 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.