Orange Coconut Meringue Pie Recipe
I have won first place in two cream pie competitions with this recipe. It’s one of my absolute favorites.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water and orange juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter and orange peel. Gently stir in lemon juice. Pour into pastry shell.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 385 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Orange Coconut Meringue Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC