Orange-Coconut French Toast Recipe
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, divided
- 8 slices white bakery bread (3/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted
- Maple syrup and orange slices, optional
- 1. In large bowl, whisk coconut milk, eggs, orange juice, extracts and salt. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Place bread slices in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Pour coconut milk mixture over bread; turn to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Toast bread on a greased hot griddle over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining coconut and macadamia nuts; keep warm. Serve with maple syrup and orange slices if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Orange-Coconut French Toast
"The flavor was great but I didn't care for the texture. The bread remained soggy even though I let it cook as long I could without burning the coconut. Maybe if it were baked like an overnight French Toast it would cook all the way through, I don't know. If I try this again, I'll probably just dip the bread in the egg mixture instead of letting it soak."
"Great flavor! I made the mistake of using regular bread - don't do that! You need Texas Toast or something that does not absorb quite so much liquid. This was my own mistake, though, as the recipe is clear. Looking forward to trying this again the proper way!"