Orange-Coconut Angel Food Cake Recipe
Everyone who tries this luscious cake loves it, even those who aren't watching their weight. I have several cake recipes, but this is my favorite. —Betty Kinser, Elizabethton, Tennessee
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:14 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange extract, divided
- 1-3/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Stir in orange peel and remaining orange extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup whipped topping.
- 4. Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
1 slice equals 222 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 361 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC