Everyone who tries this luscious cake loves it, even those who aren't watching their weight. I have several cake recipes, but this is my favorite. —Betty Kinser, Elizabethton, Tennessee
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange extract, divided
- 1-3/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Stir in orange peel and remaining orange extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup whipped topping.
- Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Coconut Angel Food Cake in Simple & Delicious December/January 2011, p19
Reviews for Orange-Coconut Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review