- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in
- vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the chocolate syrup, water, orange
- liqueur and orange peel. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and
- salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water mixture.
- Pour into prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Split cake in half horizontally; sprinkle cut sides with orange
- liqueur. Place bottom layer, cut side up, on a serving plate; spread
- with marmalade. Top with remaining layer, cut side down.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine cream and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in
- chocolate chips until melted. Cool to room temperature; stir until
- smooth. Spread over top of cake. Garnish with kumquats if desired.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 412 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.