Our Test Kitchen whipped up this delectable dessert. A fudgy filling flavored with orange extract is baked in a pastry crust, spread with whipped topping, then garnished with orange peel and chocolate hearts.
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipped topping
- Orange peel, optional
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt butter and five chocolate squares. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove the foil; bake 3 minutes longer. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, sugar and orange extract until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture. Beat in flour; mix well. Pour into crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside. Melt remaining chocolate. Pour melted chocolate into a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe eight to 10 small hearts onto the waxed paper. Refrigerate until set. Spread whipped topping on pie; garnish with chocolate hearts and orange peel if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Orange Chocolate Tart in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p11
Reviews for Orange Chocolate Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2016
"Orange and chocolate fudge in a crust, is how I would describe this! It is a must for any chocolaholic. I tried it with a graham cracker crust, and used the zest of an orange instead of extract. I will definitely make this again."