- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, chocolate chips, sugar, orange peel and, if desired, orange liqueur.
- Roll out half of the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer pastry to pie plate. Fill with ricotta mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry into an 11-in. circle; cut into 1-in.-wide strips. Lay half of the strips across the pie, about 1-in. apart. Fold back every other strip halfway. Lay another strip across center of pie at a right angle. Unfold strips over center strip. Fold back the alternate strips; place a second strip across the pie. Continue to add strips until pie is covered with lattice. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Orange Chocolate Ricotta Pie
"Can someone please tell me how early in advance I can make this pie. I want to serve it on Easter but don't have time to make it the day before. Thank you!"
"I LOVE this recipe and it is my go-to favorite for an easy dessert. Sometimes I tweek it (the way most home cooks do) by substituting some cream cheese for a little of the ricotta (to make it taste richer/creamier). Once in a while I substitute raisins for the chocolate chips and add some vanilla extract and orange extract, leaving out the orange licqueor. When I add raisins rather than chocolate chips, i also make a warm sauce of honey, lemon, cinnamon, and raisins to lightly drizzle on top (my husband's favorite). Overall, the texture is wonderful and the results are tasty!"
"The brand of ricotta cheese used in this recipe does make a difference. First time was heavy and somewhat dry. Second time, I could tell right away the ricotta was better texture and flavor. Great the second time."
"Very dry, and my husband thought the texture was "weird" which I attributed to the ricotta cheese"