Orange Chocolate Meltaways Recipe
The terrific combination of chocolate and orange makes these some of the best truffles I've ever had. As holiday gifts, they're showstoppers. I have little time to cook, but when I do, I like to "get fancy." In this case, "fancy" doesn't have to be difficult. -Lori Kostecki, Wausau, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:72 servings
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. Place chocolate chips in a bowl; set aside. In a saucepan, bring cream and orange peel to a gentle boil; immediately pour over chips. Let stand for 1 minute; whisk until smooth. Add extract. Cover and chill for 35 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- 2. Beat mixture for 10-15 seconds or just until it lightens in color (do not overbeat). Spoon rounded teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and chill for 5 minutes.
- 3. Gently shape into balls; roll half in nuts. In a microwave; melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip remaining balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 meltaway equals 76 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC