My family asks for these scones all the time, but I like to save this special treat just for celebrations. It makes them feel extra-special that way. —Leslie Parker, Avoca, Iowa
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chocolate chips. In another bowl, mix milk, orange peel and extract until blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into an 8-in. circle. Cut each into eight wedges. Place wedges on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Lightly brush scones with cream; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.
Originally published as Orange Chocolate Chip Scones in Simple & Delicious April/May 2016
Reviews for Orange Chocolate Chip Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2016
Reviewed May. 9, 2016
"These were delicious! Best served warm out of the oven."
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2016
"I love scones! This recipe is delicious and so easy to make since it uses things I readily have on hand. I love them warm from the oven with whipped cream!"