Orange peel and pineapple juice lend a fruity flavor to this super chicken and sweet potato combo. Served over rice, this appealing entree is bound to win you compliments. —Vicki Smith, Okeechobee, Florida
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- Hot cooked rice
- Layer sweet potatoes in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2/3 cup flour and seasonings; add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in butter for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange chicken over sweet potatoes.
- Place remaining flour in a small bowl. Stir in the soup, pineapple juice, brown sugar and orange peel until blended. Add mushrooms; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender and potatoes are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Orange Chicken with Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p31
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Orange Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review