Orange Chicken Supper
"We're an American military family stationed in Germany," writes Lynda Muller. "Since we're just as busy as stateside families, this meal really fits our lifestyle. Because it uses a rice mix, orange juice and other items I keep on hand, it's both satisfying and swift."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.9 ounces) chicken-flavored rice mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- Set aside seasoning packet from rice mix. In a large skillet, cook
- rice mix in butter over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in the
- water, orange juice, garlic powder, ginger, cayenne if desired and
- contents of seasoning packet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and carrots. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until
- heated through and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 399 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 847 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein.