Orange Chicken and Veggies Recipe
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 medium green pepper, halved and seeded
- 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 unpeeled medium oranges, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, syrup, oil, curry and cayenne. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add half of the marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat. Place the peppers, zucchini, pineapple and oranges in another resealable bag; add remaining marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate chicken and vegetables for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 2. Drain chicken and discard marinade. Drain vegetables and fruits, reserving marinade for basting. Grill the chicken, vegetables and fruits, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Continue turning and basting 6-8 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear, vegetables are tender and fruits are golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 320 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Orange Chicken and Veggies
"This was quite good. I used real maple syrup and included the oranges but I will probably leave them out next time. They weren't as good as the pineapple. That's a good idea to save some marinade and make a glaze. I'm going to try that next time."
"good recipe. I I skipped the oranges, as I did not have them that day. I also used no sugar maple syrup instead of regular. The second time I made this, I thickened the veggie marinade ,last minute to make more of a glaze. Next time I make a bit extra marinate and thicken 1/3 of it to save as a glaze during last 5-6 min of cooking"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.