- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place remaining cornstarch in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 7-9 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute carrots in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add green pepper and onion; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Orange Chicken and Veggies with Rice
"Hubby liked it okay. I guess I don't like orange flavor with my chicken. He'd give it 3 stars, I'd give it 1 so I settled for 2. =)"
"I read all of the reviews before making this and made 2 adjustments that resulted in the five-star rating. First, I doubled the sauce as others suggested. Yum! Doubling the sauce resulted in the perfect amount. Second, I added the zest of an orange to add some more orange flavor. That made a big difference, I think. With these two adjustments, this recipe is a keeper!"
"This was pretty good but I was expecting more intense orange flavor. The only change I made was to add two garlic cloves. It was such a pretty colorful dish to look it and does have potential - I suggest doubling the sauce so there's a little extra for the rice and adding a can of mandarin oranges and maybe a little more sugar to add more of an orange flavor. . ."
"This was very good-I added a little hoisin sauce to give it a little more flavor. Really easy to make. Thanks"
"That was one of the worst recipes I've tried from simple and delicious. My daughter actually spit it out of her mouth :("
"I really enjoyed this recipe. I added granulated garlic and ground ginger to the recipe which enhanced the flavor nicely. I had all the ingredients on hand to make it and I will definitely make this one again."