Orange Charlotte Recipe
"Mom prepared this light and fluffy citrus dessert whenever Dad grilled outdoors," recalls field editor Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "It gave our meals a fresh-tasting finish!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges
- 3 maraschino cherries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand for 10 minutes. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin dissolves. Add juices, orange peel and 3/4 cup sugar. Set bowl in ice water until mixture is syrupy, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 2. When gelatin mixture begins to thicken, fold in whipped cream. Lightly coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan; chill overnight.
- 3. Just before serving, run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with oranges and cherries. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 297 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC