Orange Carrot Muffins
Nutmeg, cloves and orange peel make these carrot muffins a special anytime treat.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs. Beat in orange juice. Combine the flour, orange peel,
- baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed
- mixture just until combined. Fold in carrots.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at
- 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 173 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium,