Orange Buttermilk Salad Recipe
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) crushed pineapple in syrup
- 1 package (6 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- In a large saucepan, bring pineapple and syrup to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the buttermilk. Fold in whipped topping and pecans. Pour into an 8-cup mold; chill 4 hours or overnight. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Orange Buttermilk Salad(3)
Sort By :
I have made this over the years and always receive rave reviews. I am taking this for a pot-luck 4th of July BBQ next month. Please try this recipe.
I've been making this jello recipe for years (it first was published in TOH in the late 1990s, I believe, but I've lost my copy of the recipe and just make it from memory). I agree that the recipe is better with a 20 oz. can of pineapple. I don't usually add the pecans. We like either sugar free orange or lime jello and use fat-free whipped topping. My kids love this recipe (so do all the adults I've served it to!). Delicious!
8 1/2 ounces of crushed pineapple does not provide enough liquid to dissolve the gelatin and not enough pineapple. Try a 20 oz. can instead and add 1 cup of pecans rather than 1/4 cup. Otherwise, it is an excellant recipe.