Orange Buttermilk Cupcakes Recipe
These delightful little cupcakes have wonderful old-fashioned taste without all the fat and calories. And the creamy orange glaze will keep the kids coming back for more.—Kim Chester, Cartersville, Georgia
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons plus 2-1/2 teaspoons orange juice, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, sugar blend and orange peel. Beat in the egg, egg white and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger; gradually add to the butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining orange juice. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cupcake equals 201 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC