- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons plus 2-1/2 teaspoons orange juice, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, sugar blend and orange peel. Beat in the egg, egg white and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger; gradually add to the butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and remaining orange juice. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Orange Buttermilk Cupcakes
"These cupcakes are just amazing. I will make them again and again. Thanks for sharing the recipe."
"would make again with changes,found them a little bland,would add 1 tsp vanilla, also use frozen orange juice, undiluted, also since they are low fat don't use paper liners, they will stick!!"
"My kids and I liked these cupcakes, even though they didn't rise as high as the picture. Maybe I don't have the same size muffin tin that others may have. As for the sugar blend, I just use half Splenda and half sugar to equal the amount of sugar blend called for. It seems to work for me in other recipes. Thanks for sharing!"
"My 5yr old LOVED these cupcakes!!"
"These cupcakes were wonderful. My husband and son- in- law ate all but the 2 I hide. Good even without the frosting."