"This beautiful breakfast ring is perfect for a special occasion," writes Wendy Fitzgerald from her home in Eau Claire, Michigan. Whether formed into a festive wreath or shaped into two rectangles, it's so yummy that no one will ever suspect the sweet treat starts with convenient crescent rolls.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and orange peel until blended; set aside.
- Unroll both tubes of dough; press perforations and seams together to form two rectangles. Overlap rectangles at one end and press the seam to seal. Spread cream cheese mixture over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Garnish with sliced almonds. Yield: 1 coffee cake, 16 servings.
Originally published as Orange Breakfast Ring in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p20
Reviews for Orange Breakfast Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review