Orange Breakfast Crunch Topping
I always find oatmeal to be a little plain for my tastes, but this unique topping really adds some character. I've been interested in cooking as long as I can remember...I even made my own wedding cake some 67 years ago!
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, combine the wheat germ, orange
- peel and cinnamon; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat brown sugar
- and butter until butter is melted. Pour over wheat germ mixture;
- stir to coat.
- Bake at 275° for 20-30 minutes or until browned, stirring every
- 10 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store, covered, in
- refrigerator. Serve with oatmeal, fruit or waffles. Yield: 2-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 139 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.