I always find oatmeal to be a little plain for my tastes, but this unique topping really adds some character. I've been interested in cooking as long as I can remember...I even made my own wedding cake some 67 years ago!
Recommended: 60 Muffin Recipes Worth Waking Up For
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, combine the wheat germ, orange peel and cinnamon; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat brown sugar and butter until butter is melted. Pour over wheat germ mixture; stir to coat.
- Bake at 275° for 20-30 minutes or until browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Serve with oatmeal, fruit or waffles. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Orange Breakfast Crunch Topping in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p80