"This recipe from my grandma is an oldie but a goodie," promises Sue Gronholz from Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. "The peel of an orange (not the juice) provides the sunny flavor in these nut-studded loaves. Slices are especially yummy spread with cream cheese."
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 large navel orange
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Peel orange (save fruit for another use). Place the peel in a small
- saucepan and cover with water; cook over medium-high heat for 5
- minutes. Drain. Cover peel again with water and cook for 3
- minutes; drain. Finely chop peel; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine egg
- and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in
- nuts and orange peel. Pour batter into three greased and floured
- 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to a wire rack.
- Yield: 3 mini loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 187 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium,