Baking is my favorite pastime, and I normally have my freezer well-stocked with breads, muffins and cookies. This recipe for rolls with a refreshing orange flavor has been in the family as long as I can remember. We especially enjoy them for breakfast and brunch.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, orange juice and peel, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into 12 balls. Roll each into a 10-in. rope. Tie into a knot and tuck ends under.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Orange Bow Knots in Best of Country Breads 2000, p78
Reviews for Orange Bow Knots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review