- 7 egg whites
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Candied fruit, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice and butter until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the pecans and coconut. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- For frosting, combine flour and orange juice in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature. In another large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add cooled orange juice mixture; beat for 5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one on a serving plate. Spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with candied fruit if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Orange Bonbon Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p25
Reviews for Orange Bonbon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review