Orange Bonbon Cake Recipe
The sunshiny flavor in this cake's layers, filling and frosting reminds me of the cheerful lady who gave me the recipe. I've made it for 30 years' worth of special occasions.
- 7 egg whites
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Candied fruit, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a saucepan. Gradually stir in orange juice and butter until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the pecans and coconut. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- For frosting, combine flour and orange juice in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature. In another large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add cooled orange juice mixture; beat for 5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one on a serving plate. Spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with candied fruit if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Orange Bonbon Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p25
Reviews for Orange Bonbon Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review