What could better represent our area than a recipe calling for oranges fresh off the tree? Since we planted and maintained a grove of 250 orange trees for almost 20 years, this recipe became a family favorite. Our grown children have said this cake brings back wonderful childhood memories.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs until blended. Beat in applesauce and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in dates and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients; bring to a boil. Pour over cake. Cool completely in pan. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Orange Blossom Cake in Country April/May 1997, p51
Reviews for Orange Blossom Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review