Orange Biscuits Recipe
These biscuits are a special treat with a ham dinner, but they're also delicious just by themselves. They're often requested by my five children and seven grandchildren. I've been enjoying them since the 1940's. —Winifred Brown, Wilmette, Illinois
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- Melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a saucepan, combine orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Divide among 12 muffin cups; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 1 minute. Roll into a 9-in. square, about 1/2-in. thick. Brush with melted butter.
- 3. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up. Cut into 12 slices, about 3/4 in. thick. Place slices, cut side down, over orange mixture in muffin cups. Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes. Cool for 2-3 minutes; remove from pan. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 209 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Orange Biscuits
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC