Orange Biscuits Recipe
These biscuits are a special treat with a ham dinner, but they're also delicious just by themselves. They're often requested by my five children and seven grandchildren. I've been enjoying them since the 1940's. —Winifred Brown, Wilmette, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- Melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a saucepan, combine orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and orange peel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Divide among 12 muffin cups; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in milk until mixture forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 1 minute. Roll into a 9-in. square, about 1/2-in. thick. Brush with melted butter.
- 3. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up. Cut into 12 slices, about 3/4 in. thick. Place slices, cut side down, over orange mixture in muffin cups. Bake at 450° for 12-16 minutes. Cool for 2-3 minutes; remove from pan. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 209 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC