Orange Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound), cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 teaspoons sugar. Stir in 2 tablespoons soy sauce until smooth. Add egg white and beat until blended. Add beef and toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine remaining cornstarch with water until smooth. Add the orange juice concentrate, ketchup, orange peel, hoisin sauce and remaining sugar and soy sauce; set aside.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef mixture in hot oil for 2-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir orange juice mixture and stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup: 390 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.