Orange Barley Chicken Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups orange juice
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, celery salt and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, orange juice, parsnips, barley, mushrooms, carrots, bay leaves and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
- 3. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 386 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Orange Barley Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.