- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in applesauce, vanilla and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Orange Applesauce Cupcakes
Sort By :
This is a very moist cupcake. It is very good and extremely easy to make the cupcakes and icing. Good for something different.
Very enjoyable. I agree with the other viewer and if you are trying to cut fat- DONT make cupcakes! I made these for a little guy turning 5- they were a hit with young and old alike. I am always happy to find a new recipe- this one is super!
We loved the the Orange Applesauce Cupcakes. I made them without the pecans since both of our grandsons are allergic to nuts and they were delicious anyway. The orange peel was an added bonus. Nana B
Made them today for part of a birthday present....The birthday girl called and wanted the recipe....very tasty. I made them as mini muffins. Loved the orange peel. :)
They were great. My family loved them. For a variation the next time I make them I may use a mix of white sugar and brown sugar because I thought the brown sugar taste seemed a little strong.