- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free orange gelatin
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 small navel orange, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Immediately invert tube pan; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water and set aside. Cut cake into 2-in. slices; arrange cake slices in a ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. With a meat fork, poke holes about 2 in, apart into the cake. Slowly pour gelatin over cake; chill until set.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Whisk in extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Garnish with orange slices and almonds. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Orange Angel Food Cake Dessert
"First of all I do not find a package [1 ounce] instant pudding 3.4 oz or5.1 ozthere is no [.] .3oz jello"
"This yummy dessert is easy to prepare and the flavor combination is nice. Although it takes time to chill, the final result is excellent even more so when you consider that it is lower calorie and diabetic friendly. We have enjoyed this regularly since first seeing the recipe in one of the special TOH magazine cookbooks."
"Loved it! Used sugar free prepared angel food cake, and drained mandarin oranges for garnish. Served it to my Diabetic friend and others. Big Hit! Judy Nova Scotia Canada"
"I followed the directions on the recipe and the angel food cake box. This recipe says to use an ungreased 10" tube pan and the box says to use a pan no smaller then 10 x 4. I used a 10 x 4 pan, nad it over flowed onto the bottom of oven. It was making a huge baked on mess so I had to take it out of the oven before it done baking. If you try this recipe make sure you use a larger then 10 x 4 angel food pan! I'm not sure if I will try it again in a larger pan."
"I think I will try this, but use a store bought AF cake"
"thanks for a delicious, lightdessert. It was sooo good and easy to prepare."
"This is delicious & satisfying,yet light. Tastes like an orange creamsicle!"
"Quick, easy, and delicious! I had lots of compliments. Didn't last long at the big family picnic, so I had to make a second one for at home."
"I made this with sugar-free strawberry jello and extra strawberries. Everyone loved it! Very refreshing as well as light."
"My mother-in-law is a diabetic so I make this dessert all sugar-free. I make the strawberry version and use the Walmart, strawberry, sugar-free Angel food cake, sugar-free Cool Whip, and vanilla extract instead of orange."