Orange Angel Food Cake Dessert Recipe
With just one bite of Janet Springer's light-as-air angel food, even dieters will be on cloud nine! Cutting back on the fat and sugar doesn't squeeze the flavor from the sunny citrus cake she makes frequently in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free orange gelatin
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 small navel orange, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Immediately invert tube pan; cool completely.
- 2. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water and set aside. Cut cake into 2-in. slices; arrange cake slices in a ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. With a meat fork, poke holes about 2 in, apart into the cake. Slowly pour gelatin over cake; chill until set.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Whisk in extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Garnish with orange slices and almonds. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 15 servings.
One piece equals 184 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0.55 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Orange Angel Food Cake Dessert
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC