Our Test Kitchen staff concludes this fast-to-fix feast with slices of delicate orange cake topped with a dreamy citrus sauce and colorful fruit.
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 3/4 to 1 cup orange juice
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Blueberries, sliced peaches, strawberries and kiwifruit
- Drain oranges, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough orange juice to measure 1-3/4 cups. Set aside. Finely chop oranges; drain well and set aside.
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; add the orange extract and food coloring if desired with the water. Fold in the chopped oranges. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually add the reserved orange juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool to room temperature. Slice cake; serve with fruit and orange sauce. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Orange Angel Food Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p8
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Orange Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2009
"This sounds delicious! Can the cake be frozen? Even if I serve this for a dinner party, there will be some leftover. Thanks."