Orange and Red Onion Salad
It's trueorange and onion really does sound like an unusual combination. But when my husband tasted Orange and Red Onion Salad for the first time, he told me, "This one's worth at least three kisses!"
I serve this salad with chicken...it likely would go well with fish, too.
Up until a short time ago, we lived in the San Joaquin Valley, where almonds, peaches and other crops thrive.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds, optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute the almonds until
- golden brown. Remove almonds to paper towels to drain. Combine next
- five ingredients. Beat in oil. Combine lettuce, orange sections,
- onion slices and almonds. Toss with dressing. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (without almonds) equals 1 vegetable, 3-1/2 fat; also, 193 calories, 207 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 8 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 18 gm fat.