I combined two recipes to make cookies with the shape and taste of sunny oranges. The whole almonds on top add an attractive finishing touch. —Valerie Belley, Saint Louis, Missouri
Featured In: 20 Recipes for Your Christmas Cookie Swap
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 7 drops yellow food coloring
- 3 drops red food coloring
- Whole almonds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chopped almonds.
- Place remaining sugar in a small bowl; stir in food coloring. Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If desired, press a whole almond onto top of each cookie.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Orange Almond Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p230
Reviews for Orange Almond Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review