"This flourless cake has become a favorite at our house," Maryalice Wood writes from Langley, British Columbia. "Now, those with wheat allergies don't have to pass on dessert. The orange and clove flavor is wonderful."
Featured In: 22 Easy Cheesecake Recipes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 6-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle bottom and sides with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Line pan with waxed paper and coat the paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks for 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar. Add the orange peel, cloves and salt; beat 1 minute longer. Stir in almonds.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of egg white mixture into almond mixture. Gradually fold in remaining egg whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Gently remove waxed paper. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Orange Almond Cake in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008, p35
Reviews for Orange Almond Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review