I've been making these cookies since I was a little girl. When my mother retired from baking the holiday cookies and passed the mantle on to me, she also passed along this recipe. In time, I will give it my young niece. Just the smell of them takes me back to when I was a little one, just like she is now. —Lisa Rocco-Price, Bronx, New York
Recommended: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- Assorted decorations: raisins, cranberries and sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup and orange peel. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 9-in. square. Cut into 18 rectangles, 3x1-1/2-in. each. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, meringue powder and enough water to reach a piping consistency. Beat on high speed with a portable mixer 10-12 minutes or on low with a stand mixer 7-10 minutes or until peaks form. Frost cookies. Using a #3 round tip, pipe designs on cookies; decorate as desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Orange & Spice Cutout Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p155
Reviews for Orange & Spice Cutout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review